The UCI Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) was created under mandate from the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The IBC is a faculty-led committee appointed by the UCI Vice Chancellor for Research (VCR) and consists of experts in various fields, including biosafety, human gene therapy, infectious disease, recombinant DNA, animal containment, plant containment, and occupational health. The IBC is responsible for establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures involving hazardous biological materials and recombinant/synthetic nucleic acids to meet applicable federal, state, local, and institutional regulations and guidelines.
The IBC reviews and approves protocols for academic research and teaching laboratories involving the following materials:
- Recombinant/synthetic nucleic acid molecules, as covered by the NIH Guidelines
- Infectious agents that can cause disease in healthy humans and/or significant environmental or agricultural impacts, as covered by the BMBL, Cal/OSHA Aerosol Transmissible Disease Standard, CDC notifiable disease
- Select agents and select toxins, as covered by the CDC DSAT regulations
- Human and nonhuman primate materials, as covered by the Cal/OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Standard
- Genetically-modified animals and whole plants, as covered by the NIH Guidelines
At its discretion, the IBC may also review protocols involving animals or animal specimens known to be reservoirs/vectors of zoonotic diseases.
- UCI Biosafety Guidance for SARS-Coronavirus-2 (COVID-19) Research
- IBC Charge
- IBC FAQs
- IBC members only
- IBC’s position on Bunsen Burners use in Biosafety Cabinet
- IBC’s guidance on safe handling of human cell lines
- NIH Guidelines
- Transgenic Animals and the Use of rDNA in Animals
- NIH Lentiviral Vectors
- Human Gene Therapy (HGT)
Deadlines and Meetings
All applications must be received by 2:00 p.m. on submission deadline date.
|Submission Deadline||Meeting Dates|
|Dec. 21, 2022||Jan. 18, 2023|
|Jan. 27, 2023||Feb. 15, 2023|
|Feb. 24, 2023||Mar. 15, 2023|
|Mar. 31, 2023||Apr. 19, 2023|
|Apr. 28, 2023||May 17, 2023|
|May 26, 2023||Jun. 21, 2023|
|Jun. 30, 2023||Jul. 19, 2023|
|Jul. 28, 2023||Aug. 16, 2023|
|Aug. 25, 2023||Sep. 20, 2023|
|Sep. 29, 2023||Oct. 18, 2023|
|Oct. 27, 2023||Nov. 15, 2023|
|Nov. 21, 2023||Dec. 18, 2023 (Mon)|
|Dec. 21, 2023||Jan. 17, 2024|
|Jan. 26, 2024||Feb. 21, 2024|
|Feb. 23, 2024||Mar. 20, 2024|
Next meeting will be:
December 15, 2022 at 8:00 a.m.
2023 HGT IBC Meetings occur the 4th Thursday of each month at 9:00 a.m. These are held as needed for submissions sent by the 1st of each month.
- January 26, 2023
- February 23, 2023
- March 23, 2023
- April 27, 2023
- May 25, 2023
- June 22, 2023
- July 27, 2023
- August 24, 2023
- September 28, 2023
- October 26, 2023
- November TBD
- December TBD
Please direct any questions about the HGT IBC meeting to Wendy Parrish.
- Biosafety Program
- IBC Protocol Application (iMedRIS) - Please use RSS BIO below.
- BUA (IBC Protocol) - RSS BIO (from March 1, 2021)
- How to submit application involving Gene editing and Gene Drive
- IBC Levels of Review
- IBC Review Process